SP’s Design Thinking frameworkLearning Express is a Social Innovation programme conceptualised By Singapore Polytechnic (SP). It seeks to provide students with an out-of- classroom learning opportunity to:
- Explore & experience the world beyond their borders
- Gain a deeper appreciation of issues affecting local communities
- Propose sustainable solutions that make lasting impacts to lives
- Learn new skills and make new enduring networks & friendships
During Learning Express, students from differ- ent disciplines, different institutions and different countries come together to collabo- rate on Social Innovation projects.
Using Design Thinking and the students’ do- main skills, students join hands to co-create innovative solutions that strive to meet the needs of local communities. Some challenges include access to clean water, exploration of alternative energy, food product innovation, healthcare and social entrepreneurship initia- tives.
As the teams work closely with the local communities, they immerse into the culture & lifestyles, thereby expanding their cultural quotient with new insights and perspectives - certainly a life-changing experience!
- Village Orientation
- Deep User Interviews – An effective method for qualitative research
- Fieldwork Notetaking – An important documentation skill in ethnographic studies
- Fieldwork Photography – An important visual documentation skill during fieldwork
- Step into the shoes of a local
- Teamwork in action – sharing observations from the field
- Data Clustering – an analysis & synthesis tool to see patterns emerging from data points
- Presentation of idea to villagers